Hiring an American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Certified Guide can help you learn the essential skills of mountaineering or turn your dream climb into a reality. AMGA Certified Guides come from many different backgrounds and have a variety of talents and ambitions, but one thing unites them all: the desire to rise to their full potential, excel at what they do, and become the best mountain guide they can be. AMGA training allows mountain guides to realize these desires. As the sole U.S. member of the IFMGA (International Federation of Mountain Guides Association), our certified guides have undergone rigorous training and examination that meets and exceeds international standards.
The Value of Hiring a Guide
Building a relationship and getting involved with an AMGA Certified Guide or Instructor is a great way to gain mastery of climbing and skiing technical skills and reach the summit of your heart’s desire. AMGA guides bring a unique set of characteristics to the mountains. With a combination of great personality, a focus on maximizing client reward, excellent teaching ability, and emphasis on safety, our guides are sure to improve your mountain experiences.
The last step is to contact one or more of the guides you have selected to determine their availability and price. Questions to consider include:
- What is the extent of your formal AMGA guide and instructor training?
- Are you professionally trained to be in the terrain you intend to take us?
- What type of medical training do you have?
- Have you participated in any continuing education?
- What is your safety record?
- Do you have experience guiding in this particular location?
- Can you provide a list of references?