Ragged Mountain Guides is based in southern New England. It’s a great launch pad for local adventure and those further afield. Close proximity to world class rock and ice climbing, mountains, and local airports put us in pole position. In busy periods, or where a course requires lower ratio instruction and guiding, Matt works with a team of carefully chosen instructors. Needless to say they will be professional instructors qualified to the appropriate level. They are also chosen for their breadth of experience and enthusiasm for the job they do.
AMGA Certified Alpine Guide and Certified Rock Instructor
Matt Shove is the founder and director of Ragged Mountain Guides. He has climbed, instructed and guided guests in mountain areas all over the United States since late 2001. Matt’s work experience includes guiding and instruction in central Connecticut’s Traprock crags; the Gunks, Catskills and Adirondack Mountains in New York; New Hampshire’s Cannon Cliff, Cathedral and Whitehorse Ledges, Mt. Washington and Presidential Range; significant guided ascents in the Grand Tetons; Katahdin and Acadia National Park in Maine; western North Carolina’s Looking Glass Rock; Alaska’s Wrangell-St. Elias and Chugach ranges; City of Rocks in Idaho; Kentucky’s Red River Gorge; the Needles of So. Dakota; Wyoming’s Devil’s Tower; significant 4000m ascents in the Alps; multiple ascents of Mt Rainier via 4 different routes, along with other significant ascents in the North Cascade Range.
Matt has conducted on site safety for film crews, and has even done some stunt rigging for a well know reality television show. He has conducted programs as a consultant and trainer for US military Tier 1 SOF Operators, USMC Special Operations, and the US Coast Guard.
Matt holds the following credentials:
- BS in Adventure Education and Leadership
- AMGA Certified Rock Instructor & AMGA Alpine Guide
- AMGA Rock Guide Course
- AMGA Rock Instructor Exam
- AMGA Alpine Guide Course
- AMGA Ice Instructor Course
- AMGA Advanced Alpine Guide Course
- AMGA Alpine Guide Aspirant Exam
- AMGA Alpine Guide Exam
- Pro 1 Avalanche Certificate
- Pro 2 Avalanche Certificate (highest level formal avalanche training available in the US)
- AIARE I and II Certificates
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program Provider
- AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor Program Provider
- NFPA Compliant Rope Rescue Technician 1006/1670, mountain rescue focused
- NFPA Compliant Rope Rescue Specialist 1006/1670, mountain rescue focused
- NY State Guide Lic. #4218, Tier 1 Rock and Ice Climbing
- Wilderness First Responder
- National Ski Patrol Alpine/Telemark qualified
- Former Member of the Certified Guides Federation
- Eagle Scout
- 2019 AMGA Guide of the Year nominee
Matt Shove is the local expert.
Matt lives outside of Hartford, Connecticut with his wife Stacy, daughter Riley, and son Ryan.
He is proud to be generously supported by Core Third, Millet, Petzl/Sky Ambitions, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Sterling Rope, and J Snare V Thread Tools. Matt climbs on the athlete team for Evolv Climbing.
Scott has been climbing rock and ice in and around the New England area for more than 10 years. In addition he has spent time in the North Cascades, Alaska Range, Sierras, and Tetons. He is an AMGA Certified Single Pitch Instructor and holds a certificate for AIARE Level 1 avalanche. Full time, he teaches Graphic Design and Photography in West Hartford, CT and is the head indoor and outdoor track coach.